Monday 8 August 2011

First day at work!!!

Dear Readers

Attended the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) at 08.30 this morning. I waited at the Nursing administration office for approximately 2 hours (did I inform you that there is no rush in J.a?????) while members of staff organised themselves to organise who would be facilitating my program??? Then finally I was asked to step in to a room...(very nerve racking) to be greeted by two members of the Nursing and Midwifery Council. They went through the paper work thoroughly whilst asking me questions, then pointed out that there was a technical hitch........the letter from my University had not been signed.....consequence being they could not let me start my elective until it was signed. But not to worry as orientation would be the agenda for today (which was very interesting at the least)....

So where do I start.....

Mission statement/Vision statement me thinks...

The University Hospital of the West Indies envisions itself as a dynamic, environmentally safe, adequately equipped organization with trained and highly motivated staff dedicated to promoting teaching, research and the delivery of the highest quality health care to meet the needs of the region. (That's the Vision statement)

The (UHWI) is committed to teaching, research and the provision of quality health care for the region. In striving for excellence, we maintain an environment conducive to an efficient, cost effective and responsive health care promotion and delivery system, by incorporating the participation of all categories of staff and students, patients, their families and the wider community. (The Mission Statement)

What do you think so far???? It will become clearer as we venture on.

This particular teaching hospital  facilitates nursing students on a post basic midwifery programme for 1 year, which is broken down into clear precise objectives for the students to  carry out (I will return to this topic at a later date ).

A bit about the actual hospital....
UHWI facilitates 514 beds distributed within 21 wards and a private wing consisting of 30 beds. It is  Type A referral, acute care hospital providing both inpatient and out patient health care services. It has different clinical specialities including HIV/AIDS Research, a Detoxification Unit and In vitro fertilisation. ( I was shown 10 labouring beds and two delivery beds in the delivery suite as we would call it......) , and was told all women deliver laying down!!!!MMMmmmmm. (Once again I will get back to this particular subject later on in our journey.

Fact!!......Did you know that in J.a.....all early labouring women get given an ENEMA????? I'm sure you would like me to explain....Now we all know what an Enema is...right??......Well the J.a enema is a cleansing procedure for the bowel...yes u got it in one!!!Now for the details.....and I will only write this once!!
A mixture of warm soapy water (with a bar of soap) inserted in to an Enema Bag (about 1000mls).....and then inserted into the woman (via a tube in to her back passage)  for a thorough cleans out.MMMmmm what do you think students???plus side no mess, no obstruction...down side???please tell me lol.

Visual thoughts...The hospital has a clinical look and feel to it. The furnishings are old....and some of the procedures are dated....i.e still using metal speculum's. There is a lot more to share but I will let you take a day to soak in and gather thoughts....I plan to add photos of the buildings and equipment, but still waiting for approval.

Will blog soon...

Take care xx


2 comments:

  1. o it wasnt so long ago P that we gave women Enemas in early labour here in the UK. my mum was induced in 1967 with an enema and a drink of orange juice with caster oil added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey P, you are so priveledged to experience life at UHWI, there will never be a dull moment. Calm down, Jamaicans don't do rush/haste, the motto I think is "Jamaica, NOOOOO Problem Man".

    ReplyDelete