Tuesday 9 August 2011

Pharmacology!!!!(DRUGS!!!!!)

Good afternoon Friends.....

As you can see the topic of today is Pharmacology......yes if you've guessed it all about pharmaceuticals.
I attended a class today based solely on this topic. The students were very warming to me, although they made me stand up and introduce myself...then proceeded to bombard me with questions (and telling me I spoke to fast, so I REPEATED MYSELF A LOT...LEARNING MY COMMUNICATION SKILLS...ALL OVER AGAIN...; )...)

As I sat down and the class proceeded in a room that was like one of those rooms that you would see in an old movie that was almost empty looking but actually was not...with glass slabs as window and chairs that were attached to little wooden side tables, and an old black board and white chalk.....(I found my self day dreaming as I looked around and absorbed the heat) Then reality slapped me across my face when the question "What do you think" was fired at me... MMmmm....What do I think of what I thought....and the class laughed at my expense....for some reason it did not feel unusual....

I was given a sheet with different pharmaceuticals which were under different sub-headings.....Analgesia & Narcotics, Antibiotic's, Anaesthetics and supporting agents, Antidotes, Anticoagulants, and Anticonvulsant, Anti platelets, Hypoglycemic Agents,Diuretic,Immune Globulin, Anti emetics, Malarial Agent, Anti fungal, Prostaglandins, Antihaemorrhagic Agent, Oxytocic Agent, Anti hypertensive, Supplements, Anti retro viral , Hormones, Nervous System, Tocolytic Agents, Cardiovascular agents, Gastrointestinal agent, Tocolytic Agents, Steroids ,Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone analog and Psychotropic Agents...These girls really know their stuff!!!!!

They told me the classification, the Availability, the action, the therapeutic effects, the uses, contraindication's, route, dosage, adverse effects, interactions, pharmacokinetics, obstetric significance and midwives responsibilities for each drug....and there were 98 different Pharmaceuticals in all......THESE GIRLS ARE GOOD AT THEIR KNOWLEDGE!!!! I was able to in put into some of the topics but others went way over my head.

FACT!!!Some of the medicines used on women...were only used because they were cheaper....i.e Heparin instead of clexane...MMMmmm....will expand at a later date.

Fact!!!!Just because a country choose to use there money different to another country...does that mean they are less advantaged????Nope.....Does it mean they are less knowledgeable???Nope....
Saving money tactics.....watch this space ; ).....

Tomorrow I'm in the child health clinic....7am start.....

Blog later xx

1 comment:

  1. P, now you see why Jamaican nurses & midwives are so knowledgeable. Make good use of all the free lectures.RAW

    ReplyDelete