Monday 8 August 2011

What have I been doin??

Dear friends
 
I reached Jamaica an hour late on the 4th August 2011, and was greeted by thunderstorms, lightning and torrential rain....MMMmmmm, welcome to hurricane season!!!
 
I have been residing in St Catherine's point hill, for those of you who would like to google map and see exactly where I was. Unfortunately there was no Internet access...(people refer to this area as country!!!) ...meaning...loads of bushes...beautiful scenery....massive potholes....grasshoppers that make the most amazing noises....spiders...lizards...you name it and they have it....lol....Oh and I have been washing my clothes....(BY HAND)......furthermore....bathing outside with cold water....Definitely invigorating!!!
 
The community (or Parish as it is termed here) is a nice small community were everybody knows each other....and yes ...I stick out like a sore thumb....because...as they would use the term......"I'm "British".....which is hilarious as I don't have to say a word and they know....and as for my name being..."Paulette".....who's that???....I get greeted by..." Morning British"....he...he....but it's nice.
 
Both my parents were born in Jamaica, so fortunately I will always have a place to stay. I was staying with my Gran, who is 81years old and can carry my suitcase on her head.......I feel weak compared to her....lol....The people are very strong over here, I put it down to the fresh food...i.e...yam, banana, okra, ackee and salt fish, fresh meat, avocado pear, fresh fruits.....all of the above which I plan on tasting through out my stay...MMmmm. Furthermore they live longer over here.
 
I am now in Kingston, and I am preparing for my first day at work....and yes I'm nervous. I am staying with a lovely couple called Carol and Ruben.
 
I will keep you updated this evening with my first day.
 
Blog soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment